Thursday, May 15, 2008

Lowest of the Low

I first thought the low point came when it was obvious that Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy were either hurt or not ready. Then I thought the low point came when King Jorge got hurt. Then I though the low point came when Alex Rodriguez got hurt. Then I really hought the low point came when I realized Shelly Duncan was batting clean up for the Bombers when they played the Mariners a couple of weekends ago. But I have to say the absolute low point has come in this series against the Devil Rays. The Yankees look like an old, uninspired team. They play station to station baseball, they don't force the issue, they never get a big hit and I can't remember the last time they made an impressive defensive player. Although Mike Mussina and Darrel Rasner have been pitching well, it is only when CHien Ming Wang takes that mound that I feel comfortable. In stark contrast are the Tampa Bay Devil Rays - talk about excitement, it boggles my mind that no one in the entire state of Florida cares about that team. Not only, are the Rays stacked with young talent like Carl Crawford, Evan Longoria, BJ Upton, they play excellent defense, run the bases aggressively and with Scott Kazmir, James Shields and maybe Matt Garza and Edwin Jackson they have an emerging starting rotation. I'd rather watch those guys then the bloated corpses of Jason Giambi, Johnny Damon and Bobby Abreu pound ground ball after ground ball into the ground - god this team is uninspiring.

No comments: